Raleigh, NC, August 8, 2016 – D.I.G., a Raleigh-based dedicated team of fitness trainers, wellness professionals, healthy food and drink purveyors, and healthy lifestyle advocates, has announced a community wide health challenge in an effort to push Raleigh into the top ten of most Fit and Healthy Cities in America. The D.I.G. Raleigh Challenge, presented by Person Street Pharmacy, begins September 10, 2016 and runs for six weeks, with a portion of the proceeds benefiting the Boys & Girls Clubs serving Wake County. D.I.G. seeks to accomplish their goal by creating a cycle that raises awareness of local resources and businesses that assist in wellness beyond just nutrition and fitness, making Raleigh a healthier community now and contributing to children’s health and recreation. This cycle ensures that Raleigh will maintain the Healthy City status for years to come.
According to The American Fitness Index, Raleigh is ranked 15 in the top 20 Healthiest Cities. The AFI report, which is put out by the American College of Sports Medicine, takes into account factors including residents’ mental health, diet, mortality rate, and more. It also looks at the resources available to locals, like walking trails, rec centers, and farmer’s markets. Raleigh gets high marks for setting aside a high percentage of city land as parkland: 17% of municipal land is devoted to parks compared with the national average of 10.6%. (http://americanfitnessindex.org/report/) While Raleigh is clearly on the right path, there is still work to do:
- North Carolina now has the 24th highest adult obesity rate in the nation, according to The State of Obesity: Better Policies for a Healthier America. North Carolina’s adult obesity rate is currently 29.7 percent, up from 20.9 percent in 2000 and from 12.3 percent in 1990.
- NC ranks 7th worst in the US for childhood obesity
- In Wake County, 59.9% of adults and 36.5% of children and youth are either overweight or obese. (http://www.wakegov.com/humanservices/publichealth/information/chronic/pages/obesity_over_weight.aspx)
While support has already been abundant, D.I.G. is still looking for participants to make the Raleigh Challenge an overwhelming success and victory for the community.
WHAT WILL CHALLENGERS RECEIVE? ($125 Registration Fee)
- 32 class opportunities (passes to 7 gyms, customized workouts, outdoor group workouts on the North Hills Midtown lawn, and yoga classes)
- Informative and fun wellness workshops
- Mini challenges that incorporate the patronage and use of products and services of our sponsors and partners
- Earn prizes through mini challenges, social media posts, and check-ins
- 6-Week Meal Plan
- 2 FREE Classes At CORE Fitness Studio, Raleigh CrossFit, Indigo Hot Yoga Center, EXOS at Raleigh Orthopaedic, barre3, CYCLEBAR, and YoBa Studio
- Weekly Outdoor Workouts at Midtown Park at North Hills
(Saturdays at 12:30)
- 15% OFF discount card to use throughout the challenge at b.good Raleigh, Happy + Hale, YoBa Studio, Midtown Olive Oil, Run Raleigh PT, Runologie, EXOS at Raleigh Orthopaedic, Juicekeys, Benelux Coffee, and Raleigh Raw
Throughout the challenge, participants will be issued smaller challenges. Point values are assigned to each challenge. As participants earn points they move up to different levels and have opportunities to win prizes from 80Fresh, The Art of Style, Athletic Edge Sports Massage, barre3, Benelux Coffee, Blown Away Raleigh, EXOS at Raleigh Orthopaedic, Fleet Feet Sports Raleigh, HealthSource of Raleigh Downtown, lululemon athletica Raleigh, Massage Envy – North Hills, MATI Energy, Neomonde Mediterranean, peachy keen, Person Street Pharmacy, and YoBa Studio
WHO WILL IT BENEFIT?
When participants sign up as a DIG challenger or become a DIG sponsor, they are also helping to support the Boys and Girls Club Sports, Fitness and Recreation Program designed to help youth:
- Develop fitness
- Develop a positive use of leisure time
- Reduce stress
- Appreciate the environment
- Develop social and interpersonal skills
- Engage in positive behaviors
To register click here: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/2016-dig-raleigh-challenge-tickets-26082550611
To learn more about the D.I.G Challenge visit our website:www.findyourdig.com
D.I.G – Determination, Intensity, Guts
This is our mantra and the driving force behind our name. D.I.G was founded in 2014, by JoJo Polk, to provide everyone with the knowledge, skills, and confidence to push their limits and live a happier, healthier lifestyle.
About JoJo Polk
JoJo is co-owner of CORE and a former professional athlete that has more than eight years of experience in the fitness industry. From 2001 to 2009, he played arena football for the Grand Rapids Rampage, Columbus Destroyers and Georgia Force. He was awarded Most Inspirational Player after a neck injury left him paralyzed from the waist down in 2000. With the same hard work and dedication he instills in his clients, JoJo made a miraculous comeback to not only play again, but also to win an arena championship!
JoJo Polk Press:
Shirley Polk, Communication Strategist