Back in August, I wrote a blog post “Google Authorship, Author Rank And How It Will Affect You”. In today’s post, we will be going over the steps on how to set up Google Authorship.
Here is a refresher on what Google Authorship is:
Google Authorship is a program (by Google) that let’s authors connect themselves to their content. Google will enable the authorship rich snippet for your original content. It will be viewable in the SERPs with your photo. One of the reasons this program was launched was to combat scraped or stolen content and verify the original source. This is what is looks like if you follow the steps correctly:
Verify By Linking Your Content To Your Google+ Account
1) Create a link to your Google+ profile from your webpage, like this:
*Notice the “?rel=author”. This method will not work if you do not include it.
2) Add a reciprocal link from your Google+ profile to the websites or articles you are claiming. Go to the “contributor to section”, click “add custom link”, and then enter the website URL.
Verify Via Email Address
Google has made connecting yourself to your content very easy. Go to https://plus.google.com/authorship and follow the steps given.
1) Create a Google+ profile.
2) Add a photo of your face (nothing else).
3) Each post, article or piece of content must include a byline. Example: View the byline at the top of this article (by Matt Sells).
4) Your byline name has to match the name on your Google+ account.
5) Verify you have an email address on the same domain as your content.
6) Return to this page and enter your email address.