Elusive Book Character Creates Summertime Fun to Support Raleigh’s Shop Local Movement
Where’s Waldo? In Raleigh, of course! For the fourth year, the famous children’s book character in the striped Where’s Waldo shirt and black-rimmed specs is visiting different local businesses throughout our community this July. Those who spot him can win prizes, including buttons, book coupons and more. Presented by Shop Local Raleigh and Quail Ridge Books, Where’s Waldo Local is a great summer vacation activity, and a wonderful way for Raleigh residents to support local business and the Shop Local movement!
Anyone who wishes to participate can pick up a “Find Waldo Local in Raleigh!” passport at Quail Ridge Books & Music with the names of all the participating sites and get their passport stamped or signed for each Waldo they spot. The first 100 Waldo seekers to get their passports stamped or signed at 10 or more sites can bring their passports back to Quail Ridge Books to claim and “I Found Waldo” sticker and $1 off a Waldo book coupon. Collecting store stamps or signatures at 10 or more businesses will entitle participants to a grand prize drawing on August 6, with the top prize being a 6-volume deluxe set of Waldo books. Other prizes include gift certificates to local businesses, local treats and more.
Where’s Waldo is the creation of Martin Handford, whose entertaining drawings of crowd scenes swept the world in the late eighties. Since then, the Where’s Waldo books have held a cherished spot on bookstore shelves the world over. There are now over 61 million Waldo books in print worldwide and they’ve been translated into over 30 languages. An entire generation has grown up searching for Waldo and his cast of wandering companions.
In celebration of Waldo’s longevity and popularity, his American publisher, Candlewick Press, is once again teaming up with the American Booksellers Association and 250 independent bookstores all across the country, including Quail Ridge Books, in Raleigh, for some hide and seek fun as well as to encourage communities to patronize their local businesses.
There is no charge to participate, and the hunt lasts for the entire month of July! For more information about hunting for Waldo in Raleigh, contact Shop Local Raleigh at email@example.com.
Print your Find Waldo Passport and start searching July 1: 2016 Find Waldo Passport
So far, Waldo has been spotted at these businesses (prizes):
- Always Poppin’ Gourmet Popcorn
- Burke Brothers Hardware ($25 gift certificate)
- Crowemag Toys
- Edible Art Bakery & Dessert Cafe ($25 gift certificate)
- Edward McKay Used Books & More ($25 gift certificate)
- Escazu Chocolates ($25 gift certificate)
- Gameday Sports Outlet ($20 gift certificate +1 pack of sports cards)
- Galatea Boutique (Back Pack and Beaded key chain)
- Great Yarns Etc.
- Mobley’s Shoes ($25 gift certificate)
- NOFO @ the Pig ($25 gift certificate)
- Quail Ridge Books ($50 gift certificate)
- Rise Biscuits & Donuts ($50 gift certificate)
- Seaboard Ace Hardware (30oz. Yeti Rambler)
- Stone’s Education & Toys (Artec Block set +Draw 4 game + Puzzle set)
- The Alley (Bowling Party for up to 10 people, shoes included, free beverages)
- The Carolina Popcorn Shoppe
- The Cupcake Shoppe & Bakery (2 T-shirts + 2 free cupcake certificates)
- The Green Monkey ($25 gift certificate)
- Treat ($25 gift certificate)
- Unleashed- City Market or Lake Boone Location ($25 gift certificate)
- Videri Chocolate Factory ($25 gift certificate)
On Saturday, August 6 at 2:00pm, Quail Ridge Books will host the Waldo Party. All participants of the scavenger hunt that received 10 stamps/signatures should come out for the prize drwaing, cake and some fun!