Business Category: Restaurants & Catering
The Produce Box
The Produce Box started as an “idea” that has been reverberating through local economies in the U.S. for the past few years but hadn’t made it to the Triangle until now:
1. Get as much farm-fresh, field grown produce as possible into the local food system.
2. Make it easy, convenient and affordable.
3. Help local farmers reduce waste by having them “pick to order”.
4. Use more than one farm to provide the most variety and best quality fruits and vegetables the area has to offer.
5. Keep operating costs REALLY LOW by using neighborhood coordinators and deliverers and pass those savings on to the members.
In 2007 I was a stay-at-home mom in Raleigh, NC, with two children under five; I thought:
- Where is my food coming from?
- Am I supporting farmers in NC when I buy from the local grocery store or online?
- I can’t get to the Farmers Market every week to buy produce (I wanted to – but you can imagine how that went with my 2- and 4-year old in tow!!)
If it were easy and convenient, more families would be able to support these hard-working NC farmers.
So I sent an e-mail and made a few phone calls. Soon my kids and I were delivering produce boxes to my friends and neighbors!
In just a few short years TPB has grown to support more than 40 farmers and 60 artisan food businesses across the state. And (thank goodness!) our staff has grown too – from one stay-at-home mom in her garage to 200 moms and dads helping their neighbors in the Triangle, Wilmington, Charlotte and the Triad eat healthier. Wow!
Be sure to check out our website to learn more about The Produce Box!
Business Location: 900 Withers Road